Humanities Theatre Group
The Greeks: In the Beginning
Original, award-winning productions that bring the Humanities to life!
Providing an exciting, theatrical approach to traditional classroom teaching, the Humanities Theatre Group (HTG) has performed for more than 100,000 elementary, middle school, high school and college students throughout the country. HTG inspires future generations of theatre enthusiasts to better understand and appreciate our world’s history as cultures, inventions, music and literature come to life right before their eyes.
HTG presents Indy in Revue: The Story of Indianapolis to Indiana fourth graders, highlighting and emphasizing the importance our state’s rich history and heritage. Indy in Revue is a fast-paced portrait of the Hoosier state capital’s growth from a small village to a major destination for urban growth and development, as well as a hub for diverse cultures. Through song, dance and multi-media, the show introduces audiences to some of Indianapolis’ most well-known native residents--authors James Whitcomb Riley, Booth Tarkington and Kurt Vonnegut; songwriters Hoagy Carmichael, John Cougar Mellencamp and Kenneth “Babyface” Edmonds; civic leaders Colonel Eli Lilly, Calvin Fletcher and Henry Ward Beecher; and Atlas Grocery bag boy turned comedian and talk show host, David Letterman.
HTG’s Other Productions Include:
- The Greeks: In the Beginning
- Shakespeare Superstar, a one-hour collection of William Shakespeare’s most famous works
- The American Broadway Musical, a one-hour sampling of the musical’s history
- The Renaissance Era: Europe Awakens
- The Modern Era: The Age of Technology
- Painting the Universe: How the Humanities Shape Our World
- French Cabaret Masters
- Cigar City Chronicles: The Story of Tampa